Feet and Orthotics at Merivale Chiropractic Clinic
- Your feet are a complex system of 52 bones, 66 joints, 214 ligaments, 38 muscles and tendons. It is no wonder that 75% of North Americans will experience foot health problems of varying degrees at some point in their lives.
- 25% of the bones in the body are in your feet.
- The average person takes 8,000 to 10,000 steps per day.
- If you are active, it is important that you select the right athletic shoe for your sport and for your foot type.
- 60-70% of people with diabetes have mild to severe forms of nerve damage, often impairing the sensation of the feet. Severe nerve damage in the feet can lead to ulceration and, often, lower-extremity amputations. Early prevention and treatment of foot disease can be managed by effective foot care practices. These practices include: diagnosis of high pressure areas on the diabetic foot and treatment with properly fitted orthotics or footwear.
- Many foot conditions (bunions, calluses, corns, etc.) are caused by ill-fitting shoes.
What are Orthotics?
Orthotics (or orthoses) are inserts that fit comfortably into shoes; they are designed to support and improve the functioning of feet, as well as to help re-establish normal mechanics for the feet, ankles, knees, hips and spine. Orthotics are prescribed to patients suffering from chronic foot or lower limb problems or to athletes to help maximize performance during sport.
About Merivale Chiropractic Clinic:
- The Merivale Chiropractic Clinic has been dispensing custom orthotics in the community for over 25 years.
- Our clinic believes that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
- The doctors of MCC have developed a keen interest in the biomechanics of the foot and believe many back problems may be directly attributable to poor functioning of the feet.
- The doctors of MCC take special care in diagnosing biomechanical foot issues, and in conjunction with the Gait Scan Technologies, they can create custom-made orthotic to address a patient's specific foot problems and/or needs.
Patient satisfaction is our top concern. Patients who order a pair of custom orthotics will also receive complimentary 1 month, 6 month, and 1 year checkups. In addition, alterations made within the first 60 days of purchase that involve the removal of a portion of the orthotic are at no cost to the patient.